My family is everything to me. And I have been immensely blessed by the women in my family, they have instilled so many treasured values in my life. I was a pen pal with my great grandma from my childhood into adulthood. I’ve also been a pen pal with my grandma since I was a little kid; which has been exceedingly therapeutic since I moved so far away from her. They helped me appreciate the art of letter writing and sending cards. My mom has passed down recipes to me that she received from her mom, that grandma received from her own mother and so forth. Generations of women taking care of each other.
One of those cherished recipes is Zucchini bread. I remember my friend’s mother bringing zucchini from her garden so my mom could make her some loaves of our family’s zucchini bread. My mom got the recipe from her grandma and now she has passed it on to me. This was a very delicate recipe for me to modify. I didn’t want to alter it too much because then it wouldn’t be my family’s recipe anymore. All I did was switch from chicken eggs to flax eggs. Then added a healthier oil option; from vegetable oil to coconut oil. Everything else is original and just as delicious as I remember it.
Zucchini Bread Recipe (vegan)
Serving: 2 loaves Bake time: 1 hour
- 3 flax eggs (3tbsp of ground flax-seed mixed with 6-7tbs of water, set for 10 minute)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 2 tsp of vanilla
- 2 cups of shredded zucchini
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 300 degree
- Grease two loaf pans
- In a large bowl, whisk the flax eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla
- Stir the shredded zucchini in with the sugar mix
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Using a sifter, sift the dry mixture over of the wet mixture and mix them together
- Split the batter between the two pans
- Bake for 1 hour (check the center with a toothpick; if it comes out clean, it’s done)
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down in the pan.